Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Breaking News

A plane or helicopter (there are conflicting reports) flew into a building in New York City on 72nd Street and York. That's about twenty-twenty five blocks from my office on 52nd and Madison. It is not clear if this incident was a terrorist attack, or some freakish accident.

I'll try to fill you in as I hear more - though you could most likely do as well as me with any news broadcast. Until then, let's pray for the safety of those affected. Just now I'm hearing the scream of the sirens. What an eerie feeling of deja vu. Let's hope there aren't multiples involved.

[UPDATE: There's an old saying in the sports world that God is a Yankee fan - with the evidence being the Yankees' unrivaled success in recording winning season after winning season, not to mention 26 World Championship Titles. But these last few seasons have me leaning agnostic, or at the very least wondering if God hasn't jumped off the pinstriped bandwagon. Now news of this bizarre and tragic incident has utterly shaken my faith:

Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle reportedly was one of at least two people killed when a plane he was piloting slammed into a high-rise residential building on the Upper East Side shortly before 3 p.m., officials said.

The police department confirmed that two people were killed, and there were no immediate reports of injuries when the four-seater plane crashed into the 50-story luxury apartment building.
I'm speechless. My heart goes out to Lidle's family and the families of the other victims of this tragedy. A sad, sad day in New York.]



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?